Sunday, July 11, 2010

ewe won't believe how much fun this is

Yip.  It's that time of year again,

and we couldn't be happier. 
Ahhhh, summertime.  Sunshine, popsicles, sprinklers. . . and LAMBS. 

I have to admit we're off to a good start.  Ryenne initially named her little gal "Jumpelina" on account that the lamb liked to make energetic leaps into the air every time Ryenne tried to get her into a halter.  Cute little trait, cute little name, eh?  Well, about halfway into the first walk of the season, her little antics weren't so charming.  As the leaps turned into flops, Ryenne began to threaten to change Jumpelina's name to "Pork Chop". 
"You think you're funny now, Pork Chop?  Just wait until I turn you into one."


For the record, I tried to explain that lambs don't become pork chops.  That would be a pig. 

"This little four legged friend will eventually become a lamb chop, my dear."

My efforts of persuasion went unheeded.  Jumpelina is now officially named Pork Chop.
And the whole tying-the-rope-around-the-waist idea?  Not a very good one, I'm afraid. 
On account that this happens every time the girls turn around to make the trek (or rather, sprint) back to the barn.
I know it looks a little crazy now, but just you wait.  In another month, these bad boys (or are they girls?  I never can tell) will be whipped into shape- ready for a rootin' tootin' good time at the county fair. 

As far as the whipping-them-into-shape part?  It's so much fun I can hardly stand it. 




*if you're a little bit rusty (or you're new to this and want to know what in the heck the girls are doing) you can learn a little bit more about why we walk lambs on a leash for fun.  Look here, and here, and here.)

1 comment:

DLonna said...

I swear that looks so fun! I guess that is easy for a mom to say when she lives miles and miles away.

I hope they have another good year with their ewes.